Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road…

May 26th, 2010. Graduation Day! If you live on the east coast you’ve probably noticed how it went from winter to “sort of spring” to “full on summer” here in Jersey that day. I forgot all about the crazy hot, humid, so gross out you can barely catch your breath weather, which is so typical to the Israeli summer. The day’s weather led school leaders to move the ceremony indoors. As we were starting to march into the hall, the whole not having my family be there for me got me very distraught. That moment, I felt incredibly homesick. I missed my family, my friends, my childhood, the people, the beaches, the sounds and smells, and even the weather. It doubled when they called out my name.

And still, despite the homesickness, I would rather be living here. Sorry Israeli friends! Maybe someday I will recount the tale of how Tel Aviv destroyed me, but not enough time has passed for it to be funny, so not today.

Moving my tassel from right to left was the reality of the day: I’m done. I graduated! These past two years at UCC have been a pleasant surprise. I ended up spending more time up at school than I thought, and I loved every minute of it! Now that I graduated and leaving this place to further the rest of my studies, I do look back with a certain amount of sadness as I think of all the relationships I had built there. So many friends who became my family... I love you all, and trust me - this is not goodbye!

For many of my fellow graduates, this ceremony marked the end of a chapter and the beginning of adult life. However, for me, college graduation is only a speed bump in the long road that has become a working study of architecture. While I am ready for the next step in my life, I am happy and thankful for the past two years that have gotten me ready for this point. I’m glad I came to UCC and for the experience I’ve had here. It wasn’t what I expected, and I’m glad it wasn’t!

I truly believe that everything happens for a reason, and my whole life has been leading me in this direction. I don’t know why, but I am going to ride it out.

Leaving you with one of my favorite quotes:
“Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.”

Till later,

Whole lotta love.

3 comments:

  1. For me this day represented a new beginning, and a new chance at life. I have become "anew" from the experience countless times over. The people I have met have profoundly impacted me, and thier friendships have given me hope. RayRay my experience would not have been the same with out you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe you are a true sweetheart. You are truly an inspiration to all. You are one of the most caring and devoted individuals I have met in my life, and you have definitely impacted me.
    So ditto Joe... my experience would not have been the same without you.
    much love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a regular day for me. Was thinking of the future steps already. I'm glad that I met many nice people at UCC.

    ReplyDelete